Tuesday, June 2, 2009

Your Own Business

" Do not mend your neighbor's business before looking to your own." - Tanzania


J. California Cooper wrote a short story called "The Watcher" that describes a community busybody who is so busy watching others that she is unaware of her own family's destruction. The neighborhood busybody is a useful metaphor for the destructiveness of judgments and gossip, but it is more than that. What is our own business?
I believe that my business in this life is, as Joseph Campbell encouraged, to follow my bliss, not to the exclusion of others, but as a clear example of how wonderfully joyful life can be. Following my bliss in relationships is enjoying a conversation with my 78 year old sister, who delights in the antics of her grandchildren, or feeling proud of the extraordinary teacher that my 76 year old sister is, and wishing her well when she receives yet another award for her excellence. I follow my bliss when I observe the success of my young cousin who has worked hard in school to win accolades for her achievements.
When I consider how bravely my daughter meets the challenges in her life, still believing in the power of love, I know joy. When I hear the smiling voice of my grandson, who continues to light up my heart, I feel energized. The literal and figurative hugs of my Atlanta cousins, who have encouraged me through periods when I suffered with the illusion of disconnection from Spirit, and literally became dispirited, have helped to light the way to reconnection. They are continual beacons of compassion and unconditional love. When a long-time friend calls to chat, and we talk for 2 hours, I leave the conversation appreciating friendship and compassion. When I go for long walks with my little poodle and delight in his curiosity and energy, I am reminded of the simplicity of joy.
Spirit shows me what my business is each day; often the bliss of the experience keeps me busy into the night. What stands out for you as blissful in your experience? Are you following your bliss?

1 comment:

  1. So you are about the business of family, friendship, and simple joys. Blessings on that! I am about the business of well being and self expression (for myself and others) thru the arts!

    ReplyDelete