Sunday, June 14, 2009

Work with Spirit

" He who loves money must labor." - Mauritania


As a consultant, I don't earn anything unless I work, unlike some who have paid vacations and holidays. This is not a complaint, but a reality, my reality. But work for me is not labor or struggle, but an expression of my identity. Work is not the core of who I am, but an integral part of the way I account for my presence in this life. I love the work I do, because when I am working with others, I experience joy. I like watching the faces of people who light up with a new understanding of something they didn't know that they knew. A teary-eyed employee who suddenly realizes that she is being listened to without judgment warms my own heart. A team of managers who smile at each other as they leave a retreat because of a sense of satisfaction with their decisions reinforces my belief in the collective wisdom of people. I marvel at the dedication of leaders who work with passion to improve the lives of others, sometimes being the only window to the future for those who have lost their way. My reward is being with others and deriving joy from the temporary connections with them.

For a short space in time, I experience a sense of community, and the presence of Spirit. What I do with others is less important to me than how I feel the presence of Spirit with me as I connect with others. Often I will design a retreat or a training with specific times for certain activities, but Spirit is there, knowing the needs of all present, including me, and begins to respond. I am just a player in the drama of my work, not the playwright. It is only an illusion for me that I act alone. There is a powerful energy present with me at all times. Spiritual energy flows freely when I acknowledge its presence.

Money for me is part of the flow of energy that allows me to do what is necessary and enjoyable in my life. Energy is not something you love, but something you allow to flow. Like the rush of water from the faucet, I can turn it off or turn in on, depending on my intention. When it is on, I appreciate what it can do for me, and when it is off, I do not think about it but I know it is available. I have faith that the faucet if turned on will produce water. If there is a water supply interruption, I am confident that the problem will be resolved, and that water will once again flow freely.

The flow of money to and from me is a reality of life. If I am in a place of appreciating what I have now, of experiencing the joy in my work, the energy of money flows freely to me, but if I turn my attention to the lack of it, or if I see work as labor or struggle, the energy of money dries up, and the faucet gets clogged with doubt and fear. It is my belief or my intention that invites a response from Spirit. When I immerse myself in the deliciousness of my work with others, I am aligning myself with the truth of who I am. Work is an expression of our union with Spirit. When we allow that union to be acknowledged in appreciation, we work with integrity and joy.

No comments:

Post a Comment