Wednesday, May 6, 2009

Words to Overuse

" Quarrels end, but words once spoken never die." - Sierre Leone

Have you ever said something and then immediately regretted your words? Have you wished that you could somehow retract them? Vice President Biden's recent remarks about protecting oneself from contracting swine flu was one of his gaffes, coming from a place of fear.
When newspapers make mistakes, a correction is published in an obscure place that many readers may miss. But, the acknowledgement of the errors at least satisfies legal issues. Often readers continue to believe the erroneous information because they've missed the retraction, or they find the original information more plausible.
A major source of misconstrued words is the unfortunate use of humor. Satirists are particularly vulnerable to misinterpretation, as in the case of Steven Colbert, a political comedian who has managed to garner support from several political perspectives, because of his brilliant use of sarcasm. But, sarcasm carries an undeniably hostile component, and can be both instructive and destructive.
An antidote to regretted words, misstatements, gaffes and sarcastic jabs is "soft engagement." Words I try to overuse are "thank you, I appreciate..., all is well, I love..." Whenever I acknowledge another person or situation with my overused words, I experience the reflective joy of engagement. I am warmed by the contact that I make with another human being when my words come from a place of love and respect. What are the words that you overuse?

1 comment:

  1. Greetings, Ellie!
    The words I overuse are words that give me and the other person value. For example, I learned a few years ago through an experience that another word for love is appreciation. So not only do I say, Thank you, I also say, I appreciate you. In closing email messages, I say, "In Appreciation" and "In Joy". I interchange the use of thank you also with "In Gratitude" and "I am grateful." In communication particularly with my children and others, I say, "I love us." Rather than putting the focus on the word "you", as something outside me, I choose to acknowledge our oneness by using we, us, our. Also, in keeping with this thought of oneness, since publishing my book of poetry in 2000 and choosing to wear my hair in its natural gray color, I often hear, "You're beautiful." and "Your skin is so clear." My response is, "I am simply a reflection of you." That statement comes as an unexpected pleasant surprise and brings a smile, and often a hug, the words, thank you, and a bow accompany it. Those are my overused words and thanks for asking. I love us!

    ReplyDelete